Where do we go from here?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Poem For The Gift of Rain

Night Rain, Late March


Awake at two a.m.
and then again,
three-thirty,  eyes wide open,
under comforters and cats.
Listening to nocturnal blessing of
rain pounding on the hallway roof,
dripping into barrels just
outside my bedroom window.
The rain we haven't heard all winter,
falling through gravel mulch,
dry drifts of autumn leaves.
Soaking deep into roots of
cottonwood and olive.
Pores of the earth
drinking in the clouds,
the snowmelt
from the mountains miles away.
It may rain all night
on river, gardens, roof.
But there is purring at my shoulder.
I fall asleep til dawn.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Simply beautiful.

Maryam Mathis said...

I love it...especially "pores of the earth drinking in the clouds..." I was listening to the same rain, just not so early in the a.m.

marigolds2 said...

Thank you both, my dears. It was lovely, but nowhere near enough.